Share the knowledge
A Future Cruise Credit (FCC), or Future Cruise Certificate, is mostly used to compensate cruise travellers for things like cancelled voyages, cruises that have been cut short or other. It’s used like a store credit or gift card, instead of receiving a refund, and is usually non-refundable and non-transferable to anybody else. It often comes with additional benefits to entice you to use the FCC over a refund and can often deliver you great savings off your next cruise.
It’s often confused with a Future Cruise Program, which is a benefit extended to people when they’re onboard a current cruise that offers them onboard credit when putting a deposit on their future cruise. However the two are very different as the Future Cruise Credit is compensation, where as the Future Cruise Program is an additional benefit.
The amount of your FCC is usually based on the base cruise fare that you have paid, less taxes, fees, onboard expenditure, shore excursion or upgrades (like WiFi and Drinks Packages).
How Can I Use my Future Cruise Credit?
You’ll know if you’ve received a FCC usually via an email from the cruise line or your travel agent. It normally takes a few weeks, however in the current environment with all cruise lines delaying departures by at least 30 days, the processing may take a little longer. When it is issued, the email will also advise you of the date the credit expires.
The cruise passenger owns the FCC, and you can use it directly with the cruise line or through any travel agent you wish to use.
What Can a Future Cruise Credit Not be Used for?
It can be used towards the base fare of any future cruise, but cannot be used to pay for:
If you already have another cruise you previously booked, you can also use it towards that cruise. However it cannot be redeemed to re-purchase the same sailing where the original booking was cancelled.
Can I get a Refund Instead?
Cruise line are currently extending generous new cancellation policies, with cruisers able to cancel even up to 48 hours prior to departure for cruises that are still scheduled to travel.
With the current temporary cancellation policies due to COVID-19 cancellations, you will normally receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of whatever the cancellation fees would normally be. The remainder is refunded to your credit card or the original form of payment.
For example, if your cancellation penalities are 75%, you will receive 75% of the total cruise paid as a Future Cruise Credit (this would normally have been forfeited as a cancellation fee), and the other 25% as a refund. If your cancellation penalties are 100%, you’ll receive 100% of the total cruise paid as a Future Cruise Credit.
Top Tips for Using Future Cruise Credits